From the desk of the past President!
Wow, as I sit here looking out the window, the leaves are turning, the nights are getting longer, and so begins the turning from being your 2016 President, to just being 2017 Past President. I will be SO last year, J. Don’t worry though, you will be in great hands, with my friend, and 2015 Rookie of the Year, Vince Smith at the helm!
Before I ride off into the sunset, I’d like to thank the senior leadership, the board, and the members for allowing me to serve as your voice for the last 10 months. It’s been my honor, and pleasure, to represent you, both locally, and nationally. It also fulfilled a professional goal I set 28 years ago, so Thank You for that.
As I reflect on the events of the past year, I am amazed at the level of dedication that your board of directors, your executive secretary, and your sponsors have given this year, to make 2016 one of the best in recent memory.
As a recap, here’s what we have done for you lately:
- In January, we hosted Albuquerque Mayor Richard Berry.
- February saw Steve Anaya, RANM CEO, address our group.
- In March, David Kittle, former MBA Chairman came to town.
- In April, we hosted Representative (and Realtor) Alonzo Baldonado.
- May gave us Suzanne Kennedy & Networking for Introverts
- In June, the Dept of Homeland Security visited and spoke.
- July welcomed Kent Cravens, former Senator & new GAAR EVP
- August 4th was our 11th annual NMMLA Golf Classic
- In September we welcomed the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- October saw William Kooper, VP of State Govt Affairs & Industry Relations
- November will see Chief of Police, Gordon Eden, return to visit
- In December we’ll have our Christmas Party and Teddy Bear/Coat drive for BCSO
In addition to these great events, we also:
- Hosted a multitude of continuing education classes
- Hired (and paid for) a lobbyist to work on your behalf
- Sent a delegation to Washington DC to lobby our NM Senators & Rep’s for you
- Hosted a members party mixer at Sandia BMW
- Held another successful Black Tie Gala Awards Banquet for our PAC fund
- Sent a delegation to brainstorm with the RANM Legislative Committee
- Tripled the number of Mortgage Action Alliance members
- Obtained Directors and Officers insurance for our volunteers
Just looking at the speakers list makes me proud. I am also very proud, and want to thank my board of directors publicly:
- Vince Smith, President Elect
- Angela Muxworthy, Treasurer
- Chris Frost, Past President
- Judy Cassles, Director
- Bill Elliott, Director
- Karen Hall, Director
- Suzie Nance, Director
- Sue Leydig, Director
- Aaron Thompson, Director
- Todd Hathorne, Director
- Daryl Custer, Director
- Greg Frost, Sr., Director
Each one of these individuals contributed way more than you will ever know, as a volunteer, to make sure everything NMMLA was run smoothly. Some of them gave 10 times what was asked. I applaud them, and am proud to call them friends. Please consider volunteering your talents to one of our committee’s next year in 2017. Now is the time to speak up. We can’t spell success without u!
I would also like to thank Alan Fowler, of Fowler Financial, for being our awesome Continuing Education provider! His classes are always so informative and entertaining.
Finally, I hope you enjoyed our 2016 together as much as I did. If you did, I encourage you to continue your belief in our mission, join a committee, and continue your membership. If you didn’t, I urge you to get involved and make the NM Mortgage Lenders Association exactly what you want it to be. Remember, once your company joins, ALL of your employees are automatically members, PLUS, you are affiliated with THE premier mortgage banking entity in the United States, The Mortgage Bankers Association! It’s such a win-win.
Lastly, In addition to just being a member, I’d be remiss if I didn’t ask for you to pull out your wallet and support our Political Action Committee and lobbying efforts on your behalf. January 2017 will bring us the biannual 60 day session of our state legislature. The 60 day session is where our industry can be helped, or hurt, the most. For your benefit, we have, once again, hired respected lobbyist Larry Horan. Larry, and his father Tom, are two of the most respected lobbyists in Santa Fe, and do what they can to keep their billing as low as possible for us. However, because our membership is not what it was in 2005 (nor is our industry, huh) it is doubly important that you support your future in the industry with your checkbook. Please just give 1/2 of a percent of what you made last year for our combined futures in the industry. Finally please fill out the form below to sign-up for the committee that you would like to support in 2017.
At your service,
Wes Moore, CRMS
New Mexico Mortgage Lenders Association